Thursday, March 10, 2011

Past Jobs-Paper or Plastic? Part 1

I got my first real punch-in-and-paycheck-with-taxes-taken-out job in 1998 as a cashier and bagger at Sanborn Foods.  

For those of you who might not know, Sanborn Foods is an amazing place.  Located right in the heart of Sanborn on Main Street, it has two check-out lanes, around 6 aisles, fresh produce and a meat department.  You might think this is small, but you can honestly get all the groceries you (or your family) need.  Whether you want Shurfine brand anything or an Oglivive home perm or a 10 cent jolly rancher stick or Casey’s Bakery buns or a peppered beef stick or a carton of Dorals or Kirby vacuum bags or the latest town gossip, Sanborn Foods is your one stop shop.  You can charge your groceries to your own account (or your mom’s if you're smart.)  And instead of drive through or take out your own, someone actually carries your groceries to your car!!! 

Anyhow, I sorta fell into this job because they were looking for a high school kid that was available after school (aka not in sports.)  Someone told someone who told my mom who told the store owner's wife that I’d be interested.  Two days, and no application or interview, later I was scanning bar codes, bagging up groceries, and stocking shelves dreaming of the sweet ride I would buy with all the cash I was banking at $4.36 an hour. 

If only I could have known back then how special a place this job/store would hold in my heart now... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment