Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Joys of Working with Kids

I really like working with kids.  They are honest and creative and resilient and funny, and they always find ways to keep me humble and put life into perspective.

At school a kid who has some behavior problems was screaming and crying and kicking (not really out the ordinary for this little dude.)  I have a nice plan to help this kid learn impulse control and anger management, but sometimes my plans don’t work (shocking) so we just listen to music on my computer until he calms down. 
That day I went over to see what the hype was about thinking that today sounded more like a music-listening-day than an address-your-anger-issues day.  But his teacher looks at me with a panicky face and says, “He has a napkin up his nose.”  Napkins up noses are definitely not something I have a plan for.  She sort of shoves him toward me.  Sure enough I look up his nose and high in his left nostril was a little napkin ball.  So I plugged the other side of the kid's nose.  After a few strong exhales, the napkin with a snot wad flew out, onto my pants, of course.   And immediately the boy stopped crying.  I was gagging and laughing (snot is definitely not my thing).  But the little guy gave me a hug and said, “Auntie, (cause that’s what he calls me…just melts my heart) I can go to school now.”  Seriously, some things you just can’t plan for… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment